Saturday, September 24, 2011

A Different World


Dear Friends and Family,

Well, we've been in Philadelphia for almost three months and I miss all of you every day. To say that our transition from the Midwest to the east coast has been a big change is the understatement of the year. Wow, everywhere we turn it has proven to be a much different world than Missouri. I wish you all could be here with us, experiencing every moment of our life together. 

The location I teach has probably been the most drastic change. I've included a few pictures of the area that surround my school. I feel like I'm teaching in another country...a true culture shock. 

 This picture was taken just around the corner of the school.
 I know for a fact three of my students live in the homes shown in this picture.


To say that this job is a challenge does not begin to describe how hard it has been. So many days I wake up and think, "Can I do this again today?" Every day is a new obstacle with few resources, many hurdles, and grim outcomes. However, all that aside, I have fallen in LOVE with my job. I am surrounded by the most talented teachers in America, and they force/require me to be Mrs. B at her best. (AKA Mrs. B on Steroids!!) Needless to say, I am not the best teacher in the building or the shining star who put a "little extra" into the job. I've never had to work so hard to stand out...but I'm still trying. A typical work day lasts anywhere from 10-14 hours at the school, plus work that I bring home. Yeah, I pretty much live at school.

So enough about how hard this job is and on to the reason I truly love it here...THE STUDENTS! They are amazing in so many ways. They are full of energy, sassy, and a handful to manage. Their test scores in all subjects are extremely low, to the point where it is almost unbelievable. During the first few weeks of school, all of our students were F&P tested (a reading test to predict their appropriate reading level). I have many students who are reading three grades below their current grade level. They've also been tested in other subject areas like math and the results are still astounding. This, of course, makes my teaching more difficult. I've become very passionate about integrating reading and math into the music room. Here are few of my favorite pictures I took for Back to School Night last week. Enjoy!


All students walk in two straight lines throughout the building. 
A kindergarten student playing the steady beat (heart beat) with the claves. 
Choir auditions were this week. 40 Students made the Clymer Chorale from grades 5-8. Wow can these kids sing!! 
Checking the list before school starts! 



I have a lot to learn this year so it will truly be a journey every single day. Stay tuned for more stories, pictures, and videos of the students. 

Love and miss you all, 

Rachael 


1 comment:

  1. Rachael, I am so happy to follow your blog! It truly is like being on a missions trip all over again. You are doing a wonderful job at your school! I'm sure the kids love you as their music teacher. What songs will your honor choir sing? Take care! I love and miss you too!

    ReplyDelete